Try something different in your next herb pot by using a variety of flowering herbs and variegated leaves
What you need
• Organic fertiliser pellets
• Palm peat block (reconstituted in water)
• Potting soil
• Bonemeal or superphosphate
• A terracotta container
• A bucket for mixing soil
• A selection of plants.
- Origanum vulgare ‘Variegata’
- Thymus ‘Mystic Lemon’
- Echinacea ‘PowWow White’
- Chilli ‘Tabasco’
- Basil herbalea ‘Wild Magic’
- Sutera scopia ‘Great White’
What you do
1. Make a soil mix by combining ½ potting soil, ½ palm peat, a handful of organic fertiliser pellets and a handful of bonemeal or superphosphate, and mixing well in a bucket.
2. Make sure there are drainage holes in the pot and cover these with a layer of stones.
3. Fill the pot ¾ of the way up and begin planting, using the taller plants in the centre and filling in with the smaller plants around the edge. Fill in with the fortified soil mix as you go.
4. Press the plants down in the pot and water well.
5. Feed every two weeks with a liquid fertiliser.