How to make a bug hotel for a healthy garden
Beneficial bugs are essential for a healthy garden, so why not provide them with their own accommodation in this five-star bug hotel.
What you need to make your bug hotel
- 4 pieces of wood: 2 x 250mm x 130mm x 20mm
- 2 x 210mm x 130mm x 20mm
- 250mm x 250mm masonite backing board
- 12 x 4mm x 40mm full-thread screws
- Bamboo canes
- Broken clay pots
- Pieces of cut-up logs
- Cup hook to hang up
Secateurs, hammer, screwdriver
What you do
- Make a square with the pieces of wood and screw it together using two screws per side. Add a cup hook to the middle of the top board to hang your hotel from.
- Screw on the backing board.
- Fill the box. To do this, cut bamboo into lengths with secateurs to fit into the box, add broken bits of damaged clay pots smashed up with a hammer, and use pieces of wood to fill the spaces. Make sure it all fits tightly into the box.
- Hang up in the garden and invite the bugs in.