Living Sculpture of Mini Orchids and Ferns
Embrace your inner sculptor for this plant and driftwood living sculpture that will make your home come alive this winter.
What you need
- Low bonsai bowl
- Gravel Potting soil mix (20% palm peat, 70% premium potting soil, 10% perlite)
- Driftwood or textured log (ours is around 30cm long)
- Sphagnum moss
- Garden wire
- Liquid plant food
- Watering can
- 3 x mini Phalaenopsis orchids
- 3 x Davallia bullata ferns
What to do to create your living sculpture
- Cover the pot’s drainage hole with gravel and fill the pot halfway with potting soil mix.
- Place the driftwood in the centre of the pot. Start with the ferns and plant these around the driftwood, filling in with soil to just below the rim. Firm down the soil.
- Remove the orchids from their pots and tease off the rock wool. Place some of the sphagnum moss in crevasses in the wood to create a cushion for the orchids. Place the orchids in the holes and tie them down with garden wire. Fill in with sphagnum moss around the roots, but leave some roots exposed.
- Place sphagnum moss around the ferns to cover the soil.
- Water well with added liquid plant food according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place in a high-light area, out of drafts, in the home. Water the pot once a week and mist the orchids regularly.