Aubergines with Balsamic Glaze Skewers
Whether it’s a kebab, skewer or simply food on a stick, you will find the use of sharpened tools to cook with in almost every culture imaginable. Whatever you want to call it, cooking on sticks over a fire gives food a great charred flavour and helps to keep little bits of food from falling into the coals. These Aubergine skewers are quick and easy, making them perfect for a delicious side dish or main.
What you’ll need:
2 aubergines, thinly sliced lengthways
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
What to do:
Place the sliced aubergines in the olive oil and coat each slice well. Concertina the slices onto skewers and set aside. Heat together the sugar and vinegar and stir until thickened. Braai the skewers for a few minutes on each side. Brush with the glaze while still hot, and serve.
READ MORE: Try these prawn and sausage skewers
Top tips for food on a stick
- Marinate meat skewers for at least 30 minutes, but preferably overnight.
- Bamboo skewers should be soaked in water for at least 30 minutes before using, to prevent them from burning on the fire.
- Keep chunks of meat or seafood the same size if possible so that they cook evenly.
- Don’t pack your skewers too tightly.
- Oil the grill or spray with a silicon spray
- to prevent sticking.
- If using a marinade, baste the skewers often to keep them moist and tasty.
READ MORE: These French toast and strawberry skewers make a great dessert or they could even be an option for your next breakfast braai.