Cheese and Onion Burger
Strong cheese and crispy fried onions make this a pretty amazing classic combo burger.
For The Burger:
- 4 burger patties
- 200g Gruyère cheese or strong cheddar, grated
- Crispy onions
- Shredded lettuce
The crumbs on these are crushed cheese and onion crisps, which gives these a boost of cheese and onion flavour.
- 2 white onions, peeled, cut in half and into thin slices
- 100g (about half a large bag) cheese and onion crisps, crushed to crumbs with a rolling pin or in a food processor
- ¼ cup cornflour
- ¼ cup self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
Mix the flours, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper together, and add enough water to make a batter to coat the onions. Dip the onion pieces in the batter and then into the crisp crumbs and set aside. Heat the oil in a saucepan until hot (170 – 180°C) and fry the coated onions in batches until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and serve atop the cheese and onion burger with the extra grated cheese.