DIY Funky Pipe Shelves
This is a great statement piece but it is so easy to do yourself. It looks great, with a pressure gauge and a bright red gate valve, and all this industrial piping. Get the kit for this DIY from Aluminium Flanges.
What you need:
1 x piping shelf kit (available from www.aluminiumflanges.co.za)
12 x wall anchors
Woodoc 25 Polyurethane sealer – indoor
Sander, cloth, paintbrush, fine steel wool, flat spatula, cordless drill and masonry bit.
What You Do:
1. Sand the wooden shelves until smooth.
2. Wipe down the wood with a cloth that has been dampened with mineral turpentine. Leave to dry.
3. Open the Woodoc 25 Polyurethane sealer and stir well with a flat spatula.
- Shake the Woodoc Stain Concentrate well and pour into the Woodoc 25 and stir well with a flat spatula. Also stir during application.
- Apply three coats of the tinted Woodoc 25 Polyurethane sealer.
- Allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next coat.
- Sand lightly with fine steel wool after the first and second coats have dried.
- Once sanded, wipe down the surface of the wood with a clean, dry cloth to remove all dust, then wipe down the surface with a cloth that has been dampened with mineral turpentine and allow to dry.
- Do not sand after the third coat has dried.
4. Assemble the funky pipe shelving. With these kits you just need to screw the pieces together. The shelves are held in place by the pipe fittings.
5. Attach the finished structure to the wall using wall anchors.