Heart-To-Heart – A Valentine’s DIY
For Valentine’s Day this year, why not design your own Valentine’s heart gift for the love of your life?
What you need for your Valentine’s Heart
- Masonite board (5mm) – we used an offcut, but it needs to be about 30cmsquare to fit the heart base
- Pine dowels – 2 of each of 5 sizes (19mm x 180mm, 16mm x 180mm, 12mm x 180mm, 10 mmx 180mm, 8mm x 180mm)
- Plastic pot (75mm)
- Potting soil
- A selection of small succulents
Tools needed: Glue gun and glue sticks, jigsaw, pencil, saw
What to do
- Draw out half a heart (about 14cm wide) on a piece of paper and cut it out. Trace the shape onto the masonite then flip it, to create a whole heart. Cut it out with a jigsaw.
- Cut all the dowels into 68 – 72mm lengths. The idea is to make them all slightly different to get a textured look at the end, rather than a perfectly flat surface.
- Plant up the pot with succulents and water well. Let it dry out before assembling the Valentine’s heart.
- Place the pot on the heart and glue lengths of dowel around the pot, alternating between the sizes. Glue on the bottom and along the length so that you fix the dowels to the base and to each other.
- Fill in the rest of the dowels starting from the outside inwards so that you have a neat edge.
- Fix a hook to the back of the board to hang it up or use a plate stand to display. Remove the pot of succulents to water.