Calendula Home Remedies
With a good supply of fresh or dried petals, you can set up your own home pharmacy. Here is how you make calendula cream, lotion or infusion quickly and inexpensively, with a listing of the various home-remedy uses:
60 g of fresh calendula petals or flowers
200 g aqueous cream
Melt the aqueous cream over a low heat (a double boiler is ideal), add the calendula flowers, and bring to the boil. Simmer very gently for 10 minutes stirring all the time. Sieve through fine gauze to remove any pollen, and press out all the liquid from the flowers. Pour into a container, cool, and seal.
Uses for calendula cream:
• Acne and boils: Apply onto the affected area twice a day. The antiseptic and antibacterial properties promote healing.
• Fungal skin infections (athlete’s foot, ringworm, thrush): Mix 5 drops of tea tree, clove or thyme essential oil with calendula cream, and apply once or twice a day.
• Skin rashes or sunburn (caused by allergies, irritations, infections): Apply to the affected area 2-4 times a day.
• Nappy rash: Smear calendula cream on the affected area at each nappy change.
• Varicose veins: Mix equal parts of calendula and witch-hazel creams, and apply.
This is an antiseptic wash for minor wounds and bites, stings and swellings. Make a lotion by infusing 2 heaped tsp of petals in 1 cup of just-boiled water. Allow to steep for 15 minutes. Strain, then dab onto the wound.
Calendula infusion (tea)
This is for taking internally as an antiviral to help clear infections, and to detox and balance the digestive system, liver and gall bladder. Infuse 2 tsp of petals in 750 ml of just-boiled water for 10 minutes. Strain, and drink up to 5 cups a day.
• For bathing tired, red eyes;
• As a cleansing, soothing wash for pets’ eyes;
• Add to bathwater for treating fungal infections. Soak in the bath for 20 minutes.
This is really a tincture rather than a wine that one can drink. Use one bottle of white wine, one handful of calendula flowers, steep for about a week, strain off the herbs, bottle and use it to settle digestion. Add a few drops of the ‘wine’ to some water and drink. For eczema, take 1-4 ml with water 3 times a day.