Harvesting Winter Veggies
Tips for harvesting winter veggies
• Harvest broccoli heads before the flower buds open and when they are still firm and compact. Remove the head with about 15cm of stem attached. The main head side shoots will develop with smaller heads, which can also be harvested when they are firm.
• Broad beans are ready for picking when the pods have filled out, but before they burst open.
• Brussels sprouts mature from the bottom upwards and should be picked when they are firm, bright green and about 3-5cm in diameter.
• For white cauliflower heads, cover the heads with leaves because strong sunlight affects the colour. Only do this when the heads are about 10cm in diameter.
• Pick cabbage when the head is firm to the touch.